Sunday, August 05, 2012, 5:32 AM
To believe a denial.
An amusing incident happened during my part-time job at the Singapore Garden Festival.

A little boy, who looked not more than 6 or 7 years of age, approached me with quite the gloomy face.
Little boy "My mummy is lost." (Aren't you the one who's lost?)
Me "Do you know where she might be?"
Little boy "My mummy is lost..."
Me "Ok, I'll help you find her, ok?"
I brought him to the entrance since I couldn't find a single damn information counter.
Me "Do you remember your mother's handphone number?"
He nods.
Me "I'll lend you my phone, you use it to call your mummy ok? Do you remember her number?"
He proceeds to key in her number, but held the phone to his ear without pressing the call button.
Me "Um, you need to press the button... I help you..."
I did so and returned the phone to him.
Little boy "Hello? Mummy I am here..."
...
Little boy "I am here." (Er, it might help if you could provide her with your location...)
...
Little boy "I am here."
Me "Um, let me talk to for mummy for awhile ok?"
I then inform her that her son is at the entrance. She arrived shortly after, thanked me, and asked him to say "thank you jie jie".

Then just the other day at Breadtalk (12 for $12 offer hell yeah) a cute British kid pointed at my haul, asking, "where did you get those muffins?"

During those two moments, I have never felt more approachable in my nineteen years of life. Considering how the most common adjectives for others' first impressions of myself includes 'cold' and 'aloof', I'm very touched.



Profile

“The only horrible thing in the world is ennui.”
Claire, perfunctory student. I sometimes blog when I am burdened with terrible ennui.

Blogskins | Portfolio | Tumblr | Icons | Ask.fm

Tagboard

Archives

Credits

Layout: yours truly; icons: 1 2, 3, 4 5, 6, 7, 8. Best viewed in 1440 x 810 pixels screen resolution, Google Chrome.