Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 5:19 AM
I chanced upon a bestsellers list for fiction novels, and it has brought me nothing but utter despair.
Singapore's Bestsellers List for Fiction
1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Fifty Shades Of Grey by E L James
3. Life Of Pi by Yann Martel
4. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
5. Fifty Shades Darker by E L James
6. Fifty Shades Freed by E L James
7. Fifty Shades Trilogy Box Set by E L James
8. One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern
9. The Racketeers by John Grisham
10. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Source: The Straits Times Bestsellers List


F-fifty Shades Of Shit? Why the blazes is it on the bestseller's list? What is this blasphemy? 'Tis an outrage! The time is out of joint!
"Why do people buy such terrible books?"
"Because they are probably terrible people."
"... you mean to say the general population of Singapore readers are terrible?
I ought to add a disclaimer at this point; I'm not suggesting that anything popular necessarily has to be good, but this is just too much for my delicate heart to bear. In addition, I have never read the book, and I don't intend to. Ever. I'm not going to help you validate if it belongs to the list of books that should be burned upon sight, but one ought to remember that in existence lies books which one knows are terrible even without so much of a peek of its contents.



Profile

“The only horrible thing in the world is ennui.”
Claire, perfunctory student. I sometimes blog when I am burdened with terrible ennui.

Blogskins | Portfolio | Tumblr | Icons | Ask.fm

Tagboard

Archives

Credits

Layout: yours truly; icons: 1 2, 3, 4 5, 6, 7, 8. Best viewed in 1440 x 810 pixels screen resolution, Google Chrome.